Wednesday, 01 August 2012 20:58
Penske Racing has released A. J. Allmendinger after the 30-year-old driver was suspended indefinitely by NASCAR for a positive drug test, according to statements issued by the team on Wednesday.
Tim Cindric, President of Penske Racing, said the final decision was made by Roger Penske
"It's important to state that the decision with A.J. was Roger's decision and no one else's. You consider a lot of things when you make that," Cindric said.
Penske said in the statement the organization is "disappointed" with the test results and the decision would be the same for any Penske employee.
"A.J. is a terrific driver, a good person, and it is very unfortunate that we have to separate at this time," Penske said. "We have invested greatly in A.J., and we were confident in his success with our team.
"The decision to dismiss him is consistent with how we would treat any other Penske Racing team member under similar circumstances. As AJ begins NASCAR's Road to Recovery program, we wish him the best and look forward to seeing him compete again in NASCAR."
Penske also said Sam Hornish, Jr. would remain in the seat of the No. 22 Dodge for the "foreseeable future."
"I apologize for the distraction, embarrassment and difficulties that my current suspension from NASCAR has provided," Allmendinger said in a statement after receiving the news in person. "As I stated last week, I have begun NASCAR's Road to Recovery program and look forward to using those resources and its completion to compete again in NASCAR in the near future."
MORE NASCAR NEWS